Saturday, February 27, 2010

moping || nine

I woke up and threw on my hoodie and slippers. I opened the door and grabbed the mail sticking out the mailbox. I shuffled through it when I saw one addressed to me. It was from Jess. It looked like an invitation. That could only mean one thing.

You are cordially invited to celebrate the joining of Jessica Lynn Johnson and Dave Matthew Hodgson. Saturday, July 20th , 2009 at 3pm. Church of Christ. Highway 48, Wawota, SK.

“Brooks!” I yelled jumping on his bed.

“What?” he groaned rubbing his eyes.

“Jessica and Dave announced their wedding date!” I exclaimed.

“Yahoo” he said putting his head down on the pillow.

“Aw, muffin, is Brooksy tired?” I said poking his sides.

He just groaned and threw the blankets over his head.

“Brooks it’s after 11” I told him. He threw the blankets off and looked at the clock. It was only 9.

“You’re an ass”

“You love me” I smiled proudly.

“You know, I would have been shot if I missed practice” he said sitting up.

“How else would I have gotten you up?”

He just sat up and stretched and I watched every muscle in his back stretch, every fibre in my body wanted to touch him right now, it took all my willpower to keep my hands where they were.

He stood up and turned around. I found myself staring at his chest and abs, what is happening to me? I never saw Brooks as really attractive before. I knew he was a good looking guy, the girls loved him, but I never thought I could see him like that.

“You ok?” he asked.

“I’m fine” I said shaking my head, “daydreaming”

“About what?” he smirked.

“Nothing important” I lied.

“If you say so”

He left for practice that morning, and I cleaned up the house for something to do. Yet, my mind was consumed with thoughts of him. Also, with thoughts of my dad. I missed my dad like crazy, and the more I thought about Jess’ wedding, the more I thought about him not being there. How hard was that going to be? Dad is supposed to walk her down the aisle, he’s supposed to walk me down the aisle, well, when I get married. It’s hard to think about. It hurts to think about.

--

The season flew by and the boys lost to Pittsburgh in 7 games in the playoffs. Brooks was devastated and I had no idea how to cheer him up. I didn’t know how long it would be for him to recover after that, especially that game 7 disaster, and then Pittsburgh won the Stanley Cup.

“Ok, that’s enough!” I finally said amongst the silence.

“What?”

“I’m tired of your moping, this isn’t you, you know you have next year Brooks, come on, let’s go out and do something” I said grabbing his arm. He didn’t budge as I tried to pull him out of the chair.

“I don’t want to” he sighed.

“Brooks” I snapped standing in front of the tv.

“Julie, so help me--”

“Don’t you dare! Brooks, it’s over, you can’t do anything about it, all you can do is play your best next year, and moping about it right now will do nothing”

He didn’t reply, he just avoided eye contact with me. I went over to him and punched him in the arm. He winced in pain and grabbed his arm with his other hand, “what was that for”

“Cause you’re being an ass” I replied crossing my arms, “I want Brooksy back”

He just sighed and tilted my head towards him “I’m sorry, I’m here, I’m not going anywhere”

“Thank you” I replied, “but you are coming with me right now” I grabbed his arm and pulled him towards the door, “we are going out”

0 comments:

Post a Comment